Cents to Hertz

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:24:59 -0800

> If the note two octaves above f = 440 is 3 cents sharp, then
> > ( f * 2^(1/12)^24  =  1760.00 )
> > f * 2^(1/12)^24 * 2^(1/1200)^3  =  1763.052492

Thank you so much, this is perfect! I have one more question. I do not know
if it is even possible to figure out or not, but here it goes.

I know the fundamental frequency and the amount of inharmonicity (in cents)
for two partials. Now, if I adjust the fundamental, the inharmonicity also
changes somewhat. Right? Is it possible to predict the change in
inharmonicity?

Here is an example:
E4=329.6
2nd partial +1.13 cents
4th partial at +5.91 cents

If I move E4=331.2, is it possible to predict the extra amount of
inharmonicity? Or do I need to know more variables like string length,
diameter, and tension?

Bradley M. Snook