Historic tuning modes

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:04:29 EST

In a message dated 3/27/02 12:55:38 PM Central Standard Time,
jkanter@rollingball.com (Jason Kanter) writes:

> "(5) From 1828 equal temperament began to be used..."

I think the most important word here is "began".  Let's distinguish that from
"always" and "must be".  I took down some data yesterday that indicates
Reverse Well in its most blatant form is alive and well in Green Bay,
Wisconsin.  I'll be more than a little interested to read the "convincing"
research that purports to show that ET was being used in Beethoven's time.
Jorgensen cited the Marpurg I which is a Quasi Equal Temperament which could
pass the PTG Tuning Exam.  Quasi means "almost" and the last I heard, that
only counts when tossing horseshoes.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin