key length

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:37:00 EST

In a message dated 3/27/02 3:10:13 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
writes:

> When my Father had his Yamaha dealership one of yamahas one selling point
> was that full six inch key which is about 1/4 inch longer than many. Also
> As I've learned of late that there are two lengths of head scales. Meaning
> the front large piece of the white key. The old stwy head scale is 1 7/8"

My friend did say Yamaha keys are the same length as a dollar bill.

I inherited a large selection of ivories from my dad. He even went to the
trouble of sorting them by size. There are many different lengths and widths
of key tops. When I replace an ivory top, one of the problems I run into is
that most of the tops are an 1/8" short. You say the 1 7/8" heads came from
"old S&S, and the 2" heads came from "vintage" S&S. What's the difference
between "old'" and "vintage"?

I don't know where these heads came from, and there are many different pianos
I put these on. So this key length difference might not be something limited
to just Steinways or Baldwins.

Wim