Kawai worth

EricFrankson@AOL.COM EricFrankson@AOL.COM
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:35:53 EST

Dear Bradley,

I hadn't thought of the legal ramifications of misquoting piano estimates.  I've always used a 60 year life span for estimating the price of a grand (40 years for verticals).  If the piano was 30 years old, half of it's life is over, so it would sell for half of what one sells for new.  Your KG-2E's life is a 1/6th over, so I would estimate the retail value (not wholesale) is worth 5/6th of a new  RX-2 ($21,500 average price found in Larry Fine's Piano Book price guidline) or $17,845 in mint condition.  But realistically, a $12,000 to $14,000 price tag is much more realistic in today's retail environment.  Most dealers would take $20,000 for a new RX-2, which makes the $20,000 price estimate for a KG-2E as a bit wishfull.  But, as always, "Buyer Beware".

Regards,
Eric Frankson
Desert Piano, Rancho Mirage, CA