Pearl River, etc.

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:02:24 EST

List Members,

I just tuned my first Pearl River today.  It was an interesting experience.
The action was relatively decent, especially for an entry level 50 inch
upright.  The case seemed to be more solid than those of their Kawai and
Yamaha entry-level counterparts.  The sound actually wasn't bad, and it tuned
up nicely--except for the damned pins.  I swear that 2 out of every 3 pins
popped and jumped drastically.  Every pin was tighter than just about any pin
I've ever tuned on any piano.  My right bicep started to cramp about halfway
through.  Ancient collarbone injuries started coming back to haunt me.

When I'd finished, the piano sounded surprisingly good.  Not the worst piano
I've ever tuned by a longshot, and a reasonable value for the price point,
but if you ever find one on your schedule, make sure you do a few weeks of
pushups before you do battle with it!

And more on topic, it was my first tuning using the shareware available for
Pocket PCs from the Tunelab website.  If you do download it, remember that
you only get 300 free notes.  The software will last a lifetime, but after
those first 300 notes, you'll have to wait 2 minutes after each 14 notes
used.  I will still do most of my tunings aurally, but the Pocket Tuner will
be extremely helpful when tuning not only the nicest S and S's and Masons,
but also the untunable Aeolian spinets, Whitneys, and other el cheapos where
one doesn't want to waste one's ears in a futile attempt to get them to sound
like musical instruments.

Thanks for all the good info,

Dave Stahl