Just had a Bach Werckmeister rehearsal with 3 violins

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:15:45 -0700

Hi,
Only when they play with a piano!
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: pbailey=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 9:55 AM
  Subject: Re:Just had a Bach Werckmeister rehearsal with 3 violins

  Found this on the Tuning list this morning. Interesting; do string =
players
  play in temperaments?=20
  Paul Bailey
  Modesto, CA
  =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
  Message: 2
  Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:44:47 EST
  From: Afmmjr@aol.com

  In case there is interest on the list, I thought I'd share the =
experience I=20
  had tonight in Brooklyn. It was a first rehearsal of the solo violin,=20
  ritornello violin 1 and ritornello violin 2. The music street now =
considers=20
  that Bach had in mind only 1 string instrument to a part. That's =
better for=20
  me because I am playing 1 of 2 alto recorders for the Brandenburg =
Concerto #4=20
  in G major.

  So I hand them a little 12 note chart of Werckmeister tuning in cents. =
Now,=20
  my alto recorder is scotch taped to a perfect Werckmeister scale. I =
could=20
  photocopy it in a photocopier and then someone could tape another alto =

  recorder to the same modifications. This means that we could all play =
a=20
  scale where they would match me: the recorder set a standard pitch.

  Then we played through. Wow. Julianne Klopotic said aloud, "this =
tuning is=20
  so beautiful. I didn't think it could sound like this." Soloist Dan =
Auerbach=20
  seemed in shock in the train ride back to Manhattan. "Why don't people =
know=20
  about this? Why isn't this taught in the conservatories? Why don't I =
go=20
  back to a University to get this out there and myself proper =
recognition and=20
  degree?" See, he didn't know about Columbia University.

  Each person seemed to prefer a different way of thinking of it. They =
tried=20
  real hard to hear the semitonal movements. It through them off. They=20
  started hearing flatter notes as sharper! I redirected their ears and =
mind=20
  so that they could hear the relationship, in G Major of each =
interval's=20
  specialness. Ah, now it was starting to click. Dan announced, "how =
many=20
  fiths and how many thirds?"=20

  Good question, 2 sizes of fifth and 4 sizes of third. But Julianne was =
more=20
  interested in the variety of 39 intervals at 6 cents apart. Maxim was=20
  quieter. His playing did his talking...really beautiful. They all =
picked it=20
  up rapidly (one hour). There are only 2 more rehearsals. At the end, =
there=20
  is a unison between violins which was played exquisitely. Hope they =
can do=20
  that on April 30th. That's when the music should peak.

  Best, Johnny Reinhard