tuning with Dampp-Chaser

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 00:09:08 -0500 (EST)

Don, and list,

It sounds like you support the idea of using a back cover for a vertical.
Dampp-Chaser seems to market the back cover as part of a system where
there are humidifer or dehumidifier elements behind the soundboard. But it
would make sense that in any system, a back cover would help to keep
humidity in during dry months. So, let me see if I understand this
correctly: If the humidifier is inside the piano, the soundboard will
absorb moisture, and that moisture will leave the soundboard and go into
the outside air on the outside of the piano (the other side of the
soundboard), if the air has a lower relative humidity. But with a back
cover, it will keep some of the humidity trapped so that the soundboard
will keep more moisture. Does that sound about right? It seems like it
can't hurt...

As for the D-C catching up when the air is really dry... One problem is
that when I keep looking inside the piano to check the humidity reading,
I'm letting out all the humidity, so I'm sure I'm messing everything up.
All I know so far is that when the room is at 62 deg F and the RH is below
30%, it has a hard time keeping the inside of the piano humid enough. But
when the room is at 68 deg F and the humidity is above 30%, it seems to do
fine. I think I need to learn more about how humidity and temperature are
related. Somehow I think it's easier for the humidifier to work when the
temperature is warmer.

Thanks for your comments everyone,

Charles