Key frame

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:40:43 -0800

I have this A. B. Cameron upright, NY, 1911. The key bed is 2" thick, =
laminated like a cutting board. It is flat as can be side to side and =
only the slightest crown front to back. The backrail of the keyframe =
scups up slightly, the screws being slightly forward of the felt and =
when I screw the balance rail in, it tilts the back rail up even more. =
The shims all were between the balance rail and the frame, not the frame =
and the bed. When I pulled the frame, the front to back slats had been =
thinned across the center to allow for a not so flat bed, and the frame =
had been run through a milling/surfacing machine that, from the radius =
cut marks on the front and back rails, had about a 2' diameter cutter =
wheel.=20
This led me to believe the backrail/frame had warped and needed to be =
fastened to the bed with some more screws. The cupping of the back rail =
was apparent with a straight edge. I figured seasonal changes might play =
havoc with the lost motion and key dip, since the back rail was floating =
in the air like that.
However, with every 'thunk' I started wondering if the sound of the key =
returning might be a bit loud with one of these heavy stickered 'cabinet =
grand' action. Is it possible it was designed to come up in the air when =
the center rail was screwed down in order to minimize noise? The cupping =
wouldn't even matter if that was the case. Or am I going stir crazy and =
thinking to much? I think I going downtown to hear some live music.
Keith R
P.S. This company built 1200 to 1400 pianos a year from 1897 to 1928 =
when they went to building 1000 pianos a year until 1938 when they =
closed. Nice not- jammed together scale. Obviously a craftsman.