Cracked Plate!

Greg Casper gcasper@pacbell.net
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:16:11 -0800

Dale:

Don't even know what that is. I have never worked on a plate because 1) I'm
relatively new in the business and 2) I don't have a big shop or the
appropriate tools. But I would love to hear more about the technique, even
if I'm not going to be able to do it myself.

Thanks

Greg
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
  Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 7:51 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Cracked Plate!

  In a message dated 3/23/2002 1:29:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
gcasper@pacbell.net writes:

                    Gregg

          Do you lock and stich??????????????
                  Dale Erwin

    Greetings again list:

    Since my post of last week regarding the strange behaviour of a Pease
baby
    grand, and heeding the advice of the few who responded, I have
determined
    that the plate is indeed cracked. That's what was causing the chaos in
    tuning and playability. Now the question is... is it worth trying to
repair
    the plate on this inexpensive piano, or should I just junk it? The case
is
    beautiful and it would seem a shame to just toss it, but I'm not in a
    position to spend beau coup dollars fixing it either. The crack is at
the
    end of the last bass strut, the one that's overstrung. The plate is
crack
    through completely, farther back than the hitch pins for the tenor
strings
    (on the understrung portion). I hope this is making some sense. Without
    pictures or being able to draw this, I feel as though I may not be
    explaining it very well.

    In any case, suggestions or ideas GREATLY appreciated. If I can't fix
the
    plate, I'm probably donating the thing to Carl Meyer and his capo bar
    hardening experiment.

    Thanks in advance.

    Greg Casper
    San Jose, CA