tuning high treble

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:33:52 -0500

> I tune the side strings using standard rubber mutes with handles.  There's not
> much room left for the hammer to hit the string where the dampers are, but I
> can usually make it work.

I agree, but have gone a step further. I took a standard rubber mute and cut in in half lengthwise - that way it fits more easily in these tight places. However, more often I simply use the thin Yamaha stick mutes with the leather on the split tip - works great - insert between hammer shanks on appropriate angle and insert between strings just at the top of the dampers - always fits between damper top and hammer bottom.

Terry Farrell