refinishing plate

Wed, 20 Mar 2002 05:57:56 -0500

Hi Hazen -

Truthfully, I have never even measured how much bronze powder I mix into
the lacquer.  Not very scientific, I know, but I just stir it into the
gun cup till it looks right.  Start with a couple tablespoons in your
quart cup of lacquer, see how gold it looks stirred up, and test spray on
a white piece of paper.  I plan on two coats of gold anyway, so if there
is a slight transluscence to the color, that is fine.  It is worth
swirling your gun around quite often during application to keep the
bronze from falling out of suspension.

I use water-based lacquers for all wood finishing, but still use the
nitrocellulose lacquer for spraying plates.  I just go to my local
Sherwin Williams store and use their "medium rubbed water-white lacquer"
( or something like that).  For plates, I prefer satin over gloss,
because it is warmer and more forgiving to the eye when there are
imperfections in the plate surface.  Although I rub out all finishes I
apply to wood, and I like the woolwax you referred to, I would not
recommend trying to rub down a gloss finish to satin applied to a piano
plate.  There are WAY too many small crevices -- around lettering, hitch
pins, agraffes, etc. -- that would be nearly impossible to rub out
uniformly.  Unless you WANT a gloss finish, I would use satin, at least
for the clear top coats, if you decide to go that route.  Ask your
supplier if he has some flatting agent for his gloss lacquer (if he
doesn't sell satin sheen already) or get his assistance acquiring some.
You can add this to your gloss lacquer to get any degree of flatting of
the sheen you like.  DO follow the directions very carefully, and mix
very thoroughly.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com