Unglued Hammerheads (Clamping)

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:34:28 +0100

Pierre,

Ask the job to be done by DESFOUGERES in PARIS.
45 rue Max Dormoy
75018 PARIS
phone 033 01 46 07 22 84
These are French pianos they know very well

They can too put new leather on the "backchecks" , on the rollers, and new
"galuchat' on the whippen lever.

Abel does the job too, don't know the result.

Frankly I am not absolutely sure these refeletings are not done in a press,
I just had a (retired) colleague who had all these individual wood clamps,
closing with a wedge, for these re-felting jobs, and Desfougeres have the
same)

But the pressure with these wood presses is as high that with the other
press .Refeltings are not done in hydraulic or pneumatic press, just the
traditional manual one, a modern press is used to put the felt in shape a
bit with warmth before gluing in the manual one.

I've seen Erard shanks allowing for modern hammers too (with a little dowel
at the extremity).
I guess these where originals. On these you have modern hammers.

These parallel Erard Grands where build for 100 years use, some have a very
lively soundboard yet, they have a very nice sound, the action is a little
special of course with a 64-58 -mm hammer /string distance.

If possible to use the correct strings on it the sound will be better.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

P.S please let us know how they refelt (press or individual) if you ask.