Unglued Hammerheads (Clamping)

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:39:23 +0100

C'est un message de format MIME en plusieurs parties.

Isaac,

I intend to let refelt the hamers of a verry nice Erard grand of 1927 =
wich has a tiny sound due to the hamers beeing reshaped
to often.
And indeed there are no tails. Thoes that meen that it is more difficult =
to obtain good hamers due to the impossibility to clamp the tails?=20
Any good adresses in France? I was thinking to ask Abel, but i'm not =
shure they can refelt such a hammers.
Any way, just great pianos those Erards exept for their bizare kind of =
hammershanks and hammers.

Regards,
Pierre Gevaert
Belgium
----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac OLEG SIMANOT=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 1:11 AM
  Subject: RE: Unglued Hammerheads (Clamping)

  Richard,

  The metal clamps yet sold by Renner are indeed designed to clamp =
hammer felt. That was done in ancient times eventually to glue some new =
felt on multi layers hammers (and leather too of course)

  Another method involved the uses of a wood clamp, the Erard hammers =
refelting are yet done as that, as they cant be mounted in a machine for =
gluing new felt (no tails).

  These clamps are very strong, the surely could help to clamp back some =
old felt, but the hammers are ruined anyway (as probably the piano ). =
And yes for sure they don't really apply to modern hammer making.

  Friendly from

  Isaac OLEG