Computers gaining ever bigger role in making music

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:40:39 -0500 (EST)

Live music will surivive the next century of high
tech advances...

  Sure, music has become increasingly processesed,
& produced with hight tech advances, creating
what I like politely to refer to as a
"packaged" sound;ie: canned. I think of it
not as altering the medium so much as creating
a new medium.

An analogy...
  Similarly theater came into high tech with
television.TV's nature demanded more processing, more
packaging, more producing. Theater is weaker on TV
then live. Live theater remains special in its own
right, and always will be, it is its own medium.

 I think similarily, live music, and live sound,
will always have a special place, no matter how
far technology brings us. High tech processing,
mixing, mastering, sampling etc....has in my mind
created a new medium, not replaced the medium.
Live instruments and musicians will survive.

                               My Opinion
                               Cheers
                               Dave Renaud