Fees

Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:40:11 -0800

I appreciate what you are saying and I think you are right that many =
good technicians are not good business people.  I don't count myself =
among those.  I have business experience running a small company before =
deciding to put all my energies in this field.  My business is very =
successful but that doesn't mean I'm not trying to refine it.  The fact =
is, that for regular field servicing I am trying to avoid the menu style =
of billing.  My time is worth so much per hour and I will accomplish =
whatever I can in the time allotted.  I think that's a better way to go =
than to piece meal everything.  People who service their pianos more =
regularly benefit because I can do more non-tuning related things.  For =
shop work it might be different  but my fees are ultimately based on an =
estimate of time and materials.

The conversation I gave was, of course, not a literal conversation.  It =
was a composite and fictionalized form representing the types of =
conversations that can happen and are avoided by simply saying, my fee =
is x and is based on a 1.5 hour service call.  That says it all.  I'll =
be there for an 1.5 hours and if I'm there longer for other work, expect =
to pay more. =20

I'm sure your video is worthwhile.  I think the business side of what we =
do is sorely neglected.  I have spent a fair amount of time myself =
developing a business model and strategy.  So far it has worked very =
well.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20