Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:49:18 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: JWyatt1492@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: March 14, 2002 11:34 AM
  Subject: Re: Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

  To make a comparison I would say
  that if one was restored well you would
  have to PAY  $15.000 to $18.000
  for a new upright to just get close=20
  to it in performance  and let's not  even=20
  mention durability. This is not even close=20
  to being one of the shiny disposable
  pianos. Good luck and let us all know how
  it turns out after rebuilding.=20
It puzzles me why there doesn't seem to be much of a market for these =
instruments. Companies like M&H built them to the same standards as =
their grands. I disagree with one point, though, Jack. What do you think =
could be purchased (of those verticals being built today) for $15,000 to =
$18,000 that has any chance of comparing favorably with one of these =
pianos? I've only encountered a couple of these things over the years, =
but none of the current Japanese or European verticals--regardless of =
price--is even close to this league.

  As far as the scale you will have to talk to
  someone smarter than me. How about  Del F.
I'd like to work through one of these pianos. I'm not familiar enough =
with the M&H vertical designs from back then to comment. I do know =
verticals respond just as well as grands to good scaling and good =
soundboard design.

Del