Blüthner soundboard

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:37:57 +1100

Marcel wrote,

>. . .  I thought I'd seen it all. I saw Asian pianos
>with laminated soundboard with masking tape on wich they painted faked
>vertical grain to make it appear as solid...

Yes, the company you are referring to is Samick (is there another
playing this game?). The irony of their attempt to make a laminated
panel appear to be solid (and beautifully quarter cut at that) is
that the laminated panels they use are 100% spruce, with all
laminations made from quartered stock (of the ones I have inspect -
out of the piano). While many of these pianos produce a tone which is
less than desirable, I don't believe it is the laminated panel which
is causing the problem. It's the numerous other piano manufacturing
factors which they choose to ignore.

The laminated panel is perhaps one of the few redeeming features of
their instruments. Of course, they may be trying to cover the
evidence in an attempt to avoid the widespread and unjustified
prejudice against laminated panels.

Just last week here in Sydney, a recording studio owner (who once
tried to make it as a musician) played our piano no. 003 in his
studio after a session and declared that our piano produced ". . . a
lovely tone but", he said, "you should use a solid sound board
because it would sound even better". There's not much you can say in
response to the ill informed. The following day after the session, I
received emails from both the pianist and vocalist congratulating me
on the tone and touch of the piano (both are pianists).

Regarding the 'masking tape' on the panel edge on the belly rail
syndrome, it is usually so poorly applied that it nearly falls off on
its own. When repairing such instruments we remove the tape. I cannot
tolerate the masquerade. As for what was a Bl=FCthner, even Samick
don't rate.

Ron O.
--
                  OVERS PIANOS