Baldwin?

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:34:40 0000

Paul,
This sounds exactly like an Ellington grand which I have in my shop now.
It was made by Baldwin, so it has the Baldwin medallion in the 'ashtray' on
the plate.  But the other features that you described are on this piano.  There
is an Ellington decal on the fallboard.

Phil F
---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 215
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:43:53
 Paul Chick (EarthLink) wrote:
>A customer asked me to install the correct decal on her 5'0" grand.  The
>former owner removed it when he refinished the piano.  He claims the
>original name said "Baldwin," and pointed out the round metal Baldwin
>insignia nailed to the inside of the rim. But I've never seen a Baldwin
>grand with this style action and trapwork.  The serial # 55210 indicates
>it's manufacturing date circa 1927, under the Baldwin listing.  There is a
>date stamped on the belly rail behind the damper action of March 23, 1928.
>Under other brand names owned by Baldwin, the serial number dates it circa
>1909.  The knuckle is the style that was formed around a moulding cut into
>the shank, something similar to the Thayer style, and not the typical
>knuckle of today.  The damper tray is split to allow for bass sustain, not
>sustenuto, but no provision for this to the middle pedal, not even a hole
>through the key bed. I can't be sure about the wippen style.  Can any one
>identify this piano as a true Baldwin?  What decal would you use?
>
>Paul Chick

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com