Bluthner soundboard

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:57:31 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronald Ochs" <ronspianoservice@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 15, 2002 6:07 AM
Subject: Bluthner soundboard

> Hello everyone,
>
> My question is regards to a 1914 Bluthner 6'10". My
> client had bought this piano off E-Bay in a supposed
> "rebuilt" condition. The hammers had been replaced
> some years before, but no other action work seemed to
> have been done. The soundboard had been replaced, but
> it was glued and screwed on top of the old soundboard.
> Is that a standard rebuilding technique?

No, this is not standard procedure. Could you perhaps describe this a bit
more? It wouldn't really be possible to simply place a new 'soundboard' on
top of the old one and glue and screw it in place. The bridges would be in
the way. Is this a full soundboard panel with cutouts for the bridges? Was
it done in sections and fitted around the bridges? How thick is it? Does the
grain angle run the same way as the original? The mind boggles and questions
abound....

> The piano is
> so far out of regulation and let-off is much to far
> away from the strings to give a very strong tone.
>  Has the string height been effected by the stacked
> soundboards? Or do I go ahead and regulate it, and
> hope for the best?

If the piano is as I'm imagining it to be, the string height would not have
been affected. But it is not regulation and/or let-off distance that would
be responsible for the weak tone. That soundboard work would be responsible
for that all by itself. Regardless of what is done to the action there is
not going to be much volume. Sustain should be good, however.

If you do any work at all to the piano, be sure you get a disclaimer
relieving you of any and all responsibility for the ultimate performance of
the piano.

Obviously--assuming you're not getting a jump on April 1st--the piano needs
to be rebuilt or remanufactured.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder