Baldwin?

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:43:53 -0600

A customer asked me to install the correct decal on her 5'0" grand.  The
former owner removed it when he refinished the piano.  He claims the
original name said "Baldwin," and pointed out the round metal Baldwin
insignia nailed to the inside of the rim. But I've never seen a Baldwin
grand with this style action and trapwork.  The serial # 55210 indicates
it's manufacturing date circa 1927, under the Baldwin listing.  There is a
date stamped on the belly rail behind the damper action of March 23, 1928.
Under other brand names owned by Baldwin, the serial number dates it circa
1909.  The knuckle is the style that was formed around a moulding cut into
the shank, something similar to the Thayer style, and not the typical
knuckle of today.  The damper tray is split to allow for bass sustain, not
sustenuto, but no provision for this to the middle pedal, not even a hole
through the key bed. I can't be sure about the wippen style.  Can any one
identify this piano as a true Baldwin?  What decal would you use?

Paul Chick