chickering

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:42:15 -0800

I just had a really fine experience, and I wanted to share it with =
someone who would even get a clue of what I am talking about.

I had the opportunity to tune a 1845-1850 Chickering 6'4" Grand =
yesterday.  It had had some hard use, and smoke damage earlier in its =
life, but had been rebuilt in the 1940's with Steinway strings, new =
hammers, new pin block etc.  Hammers had not been shaped since, so I did =
that, and tuned it.  The owner had refinished it completely so that it =
was impeccable. =20

What a wonderful instrument.  I have heard you guys (and gals) talk =
about the "Chickering sound" for years (that original sound before the =
company was sold early in the 20th century).  I now know what that sound =
is, and it is marvelous.  Dark & rich; almost devoid of percussiveness; =
just an unbelieveably gorgeous timber.  I took photos of it if anyone =
would like to see what it looked like.  What a pleasure to work with. =20

The wife of the now deceased former owner said that they had bought it =
from a boarding house in Dayton, Ohio in 1944, and moved almost =
immediately to Chicago.  It had been in bad shape and they had a German =
tuner by the name of Carl Moeller do the work.  He had been having =
trouble getting any work at all because of the bias against anything =
German during the war, and spent much time devoted to the instrument.  =
Inside the piano is a yellowed paper fastened to the case indicating the =
serial number which was 6744, and the name of "B. Canfra," or "Canpra."  =
Does either the name of the tuner or B. Canfra strike any memory chords =
with anyone???

Anyway, it was a major upper for me.  Thanks for listening....

Ed Carwithen
John Day