Bass Hammer Checking/ Phil

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:10:47 -0800

Phil,
I would advise checking the bedding of the key frame. I did an action
conversion on a Moore & Moore, (circa 1870's), that, originally did not have
bedding bolts on the key frame. I had the same problem. Darn bass hammers
would not check. The lower you played the worse it got. I installed bedding
bolts, adjusted same, and the problem went away. I speculate that the key
frame did not match the key bed. One of the problems with this piano,
originally, was that it had "cheek lift". Big clue there, that I kinda
missed. <G> I hope this helps.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)