(was Re: Cracked Pin Block?)

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:32:16 -0800 (PST)

I was wondering if I should consider restoring my 1913
56" upright sometime in the not-so-near future.  I
don't have the money right now to do a full
restoration, but I plan to restring in the near
future, and there's a small chance I may get new
hammers.  The plate needs to be relacquered, but it
has no cracks.  The soundboard also seems to be sound
(with no cracks), and when I stretch a string across
the back (not a piano string) there's space between
the middle of the string and the board (about 1/8")
which tells me there is some crown.  My area of
concern (based on what you said) is the bass bridge.
It has a hairline crack along several of the speaking
side bridge pins (from approximately F1 to C2 or
something like that (straddling the monochord/bichord
crossover point, which is at F#1/G1).  This piano has
a 27-note bass with all plain-wire trichords on the
long bridge starting at C3.  The tuning pins are
somewhat loose, so it won't hold a tuning for very
long.  I find myself tuning it once or twice a month.
As of yet, though, I have found no reason to believe
the pinblock is cracked.