Vibrating strings and bridges

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:27:20 0000

For those that are still interested in this topic I found what I think is an
interesting site.  Apparently it's the draft of a book about the behavior
of musical instruments.

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/waveguide/waveguide.html

This is from a Stanford site.  Also here's another link to a page giving
many tutorials, etc.  A wealth of information if you have the time:

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pubs.html

I haven't spent much time looking at this as yet.  However, here's one little
quote which I thought was interesting because it mentions bridge rigidity
and also the relative rigidity of electric guitar bodies (for which I took some
flak for mentioning some time back).  The quote:

No vibrating string in musical acoustics is rigidly terminated, since such a string would produce no sound through the body of the instrument. (Electric guitars with magnetic
pickups have nearly rigid terminations, but even then, coupling phenomena are clearly observed, especially above the sixth harmonic.) Furthermore, it is typically the case that
vertical transverse waves are transduced differently at the bridge. For example, the bridge on a piano is much easier to ``push'' into the soundboard than it is to ``shear''
sidewise along the soundboard.

Happy Reading,

Phil F
---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 215
San Francisco, CA  94124

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com