Flat rollers

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:28:47 EST

In a message dated 3/13/02 10:19:20 PM Central Standard Time,
poseyviolins@charter.net writes:

> All the rollers on my hammers are flattened and/or grooved. Is this a
> serious problem?  Is there a fix besides replacement?  This is my own piano
> (Heintzman Baby Grand) that I'm working on as a hobby.
> Thanks,
> Gerald

Gerald

Flat rollers, (knuckles) give the piano an uneven feel, and it is harder to
regulate the action with flat knuckles.

You've gotten some good advice from several technicians. Rob Goodale and
Richard Brenke recommended "yarning" the roller (knuckle). That is probably
the easiest thing to do. But be sure to use real wool, however. The inside of
the knuckle is wool.  Wool yarn will adhere to the wool in the core, and will
not flatten out. If you use nylon, it will flatten out too much, and it might
even creep out. To "yarn" the knuckles, remove all the hammers from the
stack, and then, with the wool yarn on a large needles, push the needle
between the leather outer cover and the wool core. You can all the the
knuckles at once. When you have them all on the yarn, take a razor blade and
cut the yarn. As Richard warned, be sure there is no yarn sticking out of the
side of the knuckle.

After you do this, you will need to regulate the action. At most, you will
need to let down the hammer line, by adjusting the capstans. You will
probably also need to adjust let off and drop.

I am not sure how much you know about all these terms, or how much experience
you have working on pianos, but you'll find out that solving one problem
often creates other problems.

Good luck

Willem Blees RPT
University of Alabama