I Wish!

Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:15:10 -0800

There does seem to be this notion that ET was not possible on the =
instruments of that day.  This idea has been promulgated by Jorgensen =
and others.  But, as I believe John Delacour pointed out a while back, =
this seems based on documentation from the English tuners of that period =
and may be inconsistent with what the Germans, and possibly the French, =
had already come to know and practice.  As I said before, I think some =
new documentation will be forthcoming that will shed new light on this =
disputed point.  I have not seen all of it so I can't really comment =
further,but I think it will be interesting. =20

There are other pedal markings in Beethoven that are sometimes modified =
to deal with the difference in sonority between the period and modern =
instruments.  The opening to the Waldstein comes to mind.  I think that =
this is where strictly adhering to the written dynamics while playing =
the piece on a totally different instrument can get you into trouble, =
even if you are Andras Schiff.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: March 13, 2002 9:03 AM
  Subject: Re: I Wish!

  In a message dated 3/13/02 10:57:09 AM Central Standard Time,=20
  From:    davidlovepianos@earthlink.net (David Love) writes:=20

    Not clear yet whether Beethoven's piano wasn't tuned in ET (I am =
inclined to think that it very well might have been based on the =
preliminary evidence that I've seem--more on that later), but certainly =
it didn't have the sustaining power or as powerful a bass and many =
pianists make adjustments to the pedal markings accordingly.

  I'm not inclined to believe ET was possible as we know it on the =
instruments of that period (see Conrad's remarks), only in theory.  In =
other words, even if were trying for it, which I still doubt, it really =
could not have come out to be ET the way we think of it today, the same =
as the pianos didn't come up to today's standards.=20

  But in any case, the temperament wouldn't have nearly as much to do =
with the conflict of sounds which in this performance amounted to =
unpleasant dischords as the very long sustain.  If I were a critic =
writing a review in the newspaper, I would have blasted him for it.=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20
  Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-=20