I Wish!

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:03:00 EST

In a message dated 3/13/02 10:57:09 AM Central Standard Time,
From:    davidlovepianos@earthlink.net (David Love) writes:

> Not clear yet whether Beethoven's piano wasn't tuned in ET (I am inclined to
> think that it very well might have been based on the preliminary evidence
> that I've seem--more on that later), but certainly it didn't have the
> sustaining power or as powerful a bass and many pianists make adjustments

I'm not inclined to believe ET was possible as we know it on the instruments
of that period (see Conrad's remarks), only in theory.  In other words, even
if were trying for it, which I still doubt, it really could not have come out
to be ET the way we think of it today, the same as the pianos didn't come up
to today's standards.

But in any case, the temperament wouldn't have nearly as much to do with the
conflict of sounds which in this performance amounted to unpleasant dischords
as the very long sustain.  If I were a critic writing a review in the
newspaper, I would have blasted him for it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin