I Wish!

Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:44:11 -0600

Bill,

At 09:33 03/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 3/13/02 8:28:30 AM Central Standard Time,
>hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu (Conrad Hoffsommer) writes:
>> >Anybody have any ideas on why an artist of his supposed caliber would
>> do  this?
>>Other than the instructions at the beginning of the movement saying
>>"senza sordino", I can't think of a reason.
>
>I can't either.  If you are going *alter* the music by using an instrument
>which is far larger with much longer sustain than anything Beethoven had
>and particularly, tune in a way which by all accounts Beethoven would
>never have had done, why take a small notation like that literally?  It
>produced very dissonant sounds which for me, ruined it.
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT

Well, it's not exactly a small notation.

"Si deve suonare tutto questo pezzo delicatissimamente e senza sordino."

I loosely translate that as "play it all delicately and without
dampers".  Really difficult on a mega Bö.

Modern ears are not used to the wash of sound that you get playing a Zumpe
square with the dampers raised - kinda sounds like a hammer dulcimer with a
keyboard.  We hear the music played on a carillon or a cymbalum, even if
they don't have dampers, but we insist that modern piano dampers stop the
sound IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.

My suspicion is that, even if he _was_ using a howitzer to swat a fly,
Schiff was trying his best to evoke some of the original intent of the
music. Zumpe squares and pre-1850 Broadwoods or Grafs are mighty scarce on
stage, after all.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)