Cracked Pin Block?

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:49:34 -0700

I'm no real expert Bill, but I think that ( or at least I've heard and =
it sounded reasonable) if while tuning, if you were to mark the loose =
pins with chalk, and the loose ones formed a straight line, that would =
be a pretty good indication of a crack in the pin block.
    I often wonder that the lowest pins on an upright seem to be the =
loosest, if that isn't an indication that a crack was forming.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William R. Monroe=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 5:11 PM
  Subject: Cracked Pin Block?

  Hi all,

  I tuned a 1900 Kroeger "Upright Grand" [giggle] today.  Very loose =
tuning pins.  Tried tapping to see if that had any effect.  Helped on a =
couple.  Then - Ooops, where'd you go?  I tapped one in and it sunk =
nearly to the winding on the pin.  And, the string required probably a =
full turn or more to bring it back up to pitch (this was in the tenor).  =
Again, many loose pins in this "instrument", and am curious what you all =
would think the culprit is.  Also, if it were a cracked pinblock, how =
would you know for certain?

  Thanks,

  William R. Monroe
  PTG Associate