Dunce of the Year

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 04:36:36 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Jankura <kenrpt@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: Dunce of the Year

> And then there's the time you think you are the hero by simply taking up
all
> that incredibly excessive lost motion only to discover after you've turned
> each capstan about 720 degrees (90 degrees at a time) that the soft pedal
> dowel jumped track and the pin is holding the hammer rest rail way too
close
> to the strings. I met someone who heard that someone he knew did this once
> :-)
> Ken Jankura rpt
> Fayetteville PA

    Or there's a little too much lost motion, so you decide to regulate it
out (at no extra charge) to make the touch even better for the customer,
only to find when you're done that now the jacks don't return under the butt
after soft blows, so ya gotta re-introduce that lost motion again (or, if
you're in a hurry, make the soft pedal hold all the hammers up off the rail
and deal with it next time -- fortunately, I've had to do this only
once).  -- David Nereson, RPT, Denver