Dunce of the year

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 04:34:54 -0700

    Worked for a Yamaha dealer for several years and thought I was familiar
with all the models.  Then encountered an older grand in a home.  Had to
remove the action for something.  Looked underneath and no wing screws.  No
flat-head screws flush with the keybed, either.  Hmmm,  maybe under rubber
buttons on the key blocks.  Nope, no rubber buttons.  Maybe key blocks come
out with fallboard.  Nope, no screws underneath.  No screws for the keyslip,
either.  Search all around for Chinese-puzzle type tricks or hidden latches.
Nada.  Fortunately had Yamaha service dept. number in my wallet and told
customer I had to make a long-distance call, but it would be toll-free.
Thankfully it was a weekday and still during working hours, California time.
"See if the front legs are on backwards", they said.  Sure enough -- the
access holes for the keyblock screws, which go up through the top portion of
the legs [whatever that's called -- is it the capital? or head block?] were
at the rear, that is, the right & left legs were switched, covering up the
screws for the key blocks.  Customer helped temporarily support piano on the
bench with phone books under the keybed while I switched legs.   At least it
was the movers' fault, not mine.
    On a similar note, a piano teacher client once had her Baldwin grand set
up on its long side and removed the legs while new flooring or carpet was
installed.  After the job, they put the legs back on and put the piano in a
corner at an angle.  Every time I tuned it, I swore that corner of the room
was lower, or the floor was uneven, or something in the room wasn't square,
level, or plumb, but couldn't figure out exactly what.   Then one day she
rearranged the pianos (she had 2 grands) for a recital, with the keyboards
side by side, but the Baldwin one went "uphill".  I puzzled for awhile,
measured diameter of caster wheels, looked to see if one of the wheels
wasn't seated in the leg socket, or whatever, then the light bulb went on
and I measured the actual length of the legs.  Sure enough, the rear one is
slightly longer but had been put under the treble corner.  Ya learn sumpin'
every day.  The family helped hold it up while I did the switch.  All the
sudden the room seemed more level.  --David Nereson, RPT