key pins

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:39:35 -0500

Ron, you do like the nitty gritty don't you.

It has been my observation that small key pins wear bushings faster and
that the Yamaha brass balance rail pins do more damage than plated
pins.  I have no proof of this, just a seat of the pants feeling.

The corollary of course is that larger pins do not wear bushings out as
quickly.  Why did Steinway drop those pins?

Other observations, polished and lubricated pins and bushings will take
ten times the wear than without the polish or lubrications.  No one
except university techs are likely to notice this wear.

Tightly woven cloth is better than loosely woven felt.

Key pins can be rotated, contrary to popular belief, but not more than
about 35 degrees.  After that, rebush.

Careful fitting of each key, one at a time, individually will assure a
very nicely done keyboard with no sluggishness.

I have also seen laminated key buttons.  Not _that_ I thought was a good
idea.

		Newton