key pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:47:13 -0600

Well, since there doesn't seem to be a bunch of enlightenment on laminated
knucklebones pouring in, I've got another annoying question I was holding
in reserve for just such a situation.

Are there any detectable differences in performance, longevity, bushing
abuse, or competitor envy between brass, plated brass, or plated steel key
pins? Why not nickel silver, stainless steel, or Kryptonite? With center
pin composition being of such concern, it seems that key pin composition
cults would be inevitable too. I admit I haven't had to repin more than a
couple of keys as field repairs in all these years, so maybe that's it. No
one notices any difference. Still, it seems odd that no one champions or
outright condemns specific key pin materials in either advertising or
technical literature. Or do they?

Ron N