Tuning pin Drilling Angle

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:22:42 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 10, 2002 1:44 PM
Subject: Tuning pin Drilling Angle

> Del,
> YOU taught me 5 degrees, remember? Seriously tho, it depends on the
> configuration of the bearing surfaces between the tuning pin and the
> aggraffe/capo bar/"v" bar/etc.

Yes I do remember, Joe, but that was 25 years ago--give or take a couple!
Surely I'm entitled to one mistake in all that time. (Well, OK, maybe
two...three? Are you sure?) Lots of us were still blindly doing 'the right
thing' back then either because that's what we'd been taught or because
that's what S&S did. Then one day we started to think....

Besides, if you'll recall the most important lesson of all, I didn't so much
try to teach you (or anyone else, for that) all that much of what's in the
Basic Piano Technology 101 Handbook so much as I tried to prepare you to get
yourself out of trouble as the need arose. Not that it ever does, in our
line of work, but still....

Regards,

Del