drilling new pinblock/quick help

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:18:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tommy,

I don't know what others do exactly, but I drill
them so that they all lean straight back towards
the stretcher rather than trying to fan them in a
direction related to the direction of string
pull.

Also, please reconsider using 7 degrees as your
back angle.  I find that for most of what I've
done in the past, that an angle closer to 2 or 3
degrees seems to be quite adequate.  When you
have a 7 degree back angle and there is no need
for it, it can be difficult getting the coils to
stay tight on the tuning pin and I can't imagine
that could be good for tuning stability.  It's
really more of a function of the angle the string
leaves the pin than the angle of the pin to the
plate.  If there is a significant rise of the
string from the tuning pin to the first bearing
point it comes into contact with, there is need
for a steeper angle.

Give it some thought, and see how things are
intended to line up in the piano.  There's no
magic numbers, no voodoo.

Good luck.  And I'm sure there are some others on
the list who will be happy to give you
suggestions as well.

Take care,

Brian T.