Ivory key tops

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 14:05:55 -0500 (EST)

  I often have a junk upright lying about to
pillage for parts. Occasionally one comes with a
decent set of ivory.

  A Steinway A2  arrived with plastic.
It now has very nice ivory claimed from a Girard
Hientzman.

  The key sides were ground way down by whomever did
the plastic, leaving wide gaps between keys. I built
up the sides; not grinding down the ivory to match the
altered keys.
Glued ivory first. Then used paint sticks cut into
little rectangles, nice softwood. Clamp/glue to the
side then grind to match the ivory size;
Looks neat, clean, flush.

  I could and would do a compleat set of Ivory,
but it would command a premium price.

                           Cheers
                           Dave Renaud
                           RPT