fast puzzle,answer

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:29:15 EST

>     A new Steinway D. a knocking sound when
>the pedal is used in rapid repetition.   This noise was the result of a
>factory defect, and I fixed it with a screwdriver and  my cordless drill with
>a #9 bit.

Ok,,  so maybe the puzzle interest is gone, but here was the problem.  The
treble damper tray support block was moving with pedal action, and the screw
would not tighten it anymore.
      Steinway has changed the way the damper tray is mounted.  Formerly, the
tray anchor blocks were cut so that they fit snugly between the keybed and
the bottom of the shelf. With the block trapped between top and bottom
thusly, a single screw would hold it in place with no fear of twisting or
movement.
    Today, these blocks are cut so that they don't come close to the
underside of the shelf, which means that the screw is the only thing holding
it in place.  In and of itself, this avoidance of closely fit parts allows
weakness in the system, since the tray pivot is located above the screw and
the forces at work want to move the block away from the tray(creating
instability in the damper regulation).  It may have looked like a way to
speed up the back-action assembly process but it is a step away from
functional durability and simple craftsmanship. That they must use heavy
paper shims on two sides of this block also indicates that somebody in the
action department is cutting undersize and shimming to fit. That isn't the
way it used to be!
    What I found on this particualr D, and several others, is that the
anchoring screw is threaded through the block as well as into the case. This
means that if you try to turn the screw to tighten the block, the block
doesn't tighten because the screw is trapped by its own threads.  Screws are
supposed to act like clamps, with the threads pulling the head and the part
that it is bearing against, together.  For this to happen, the hole in the
block must be drilled larger than the threads. ergo, a #9 bit.
   Once that was remedied,  I found that the pivot pin had already enlarged
the block's hole enough to make noise. This is on a Steinway D that has been
in use for three weeks!  I plugged the hole with a 1/2" plug and redrilled
it.  All is now quiet on this piano, but anybody that services new Steinways
will want to look for this.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT