Front Duplex

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:47:52 +1100

Joseph Alkana wrote:

>. . . I had occasion to speak with Ed McMurrow on this
>duplex subject yesterday. Although he outlines the process and
>explanations fairly well in his book, The Educated Piano, it was
>interesting to learn about some of his experiences with the front
>duplex. Even with his expertise, I've seen him use the glue method
>to change a harmonic more to his liking when all else fails. He
>tells me that Steinway hardening of the capo bar can vary a great
>deal, making some efforts to shape a satisfactory profile difficult.

Indeed, Steinway's bar hardening varies considerably, as can be
witnessed by the grooves in the capo and duplex bars. Furthermore,
the shape is mostly anything but ideal.

>I would expect that he and Ron Overs would heartily disagree about
>the use of hardening on the capo, as Ed prefers the concept of a
>livelier pivot termination which he feels can only be produced by a
>very sharp "u" applied to surfaced that has not been hardened.

I suspect you're probably right Joseph. However, I would really like
to discuss our differences in approach with him. I have heard nothing
but positive comments about Ed's work, and I suspect that we are both
chasing the same thing since we also claim to be looking for a
livelier pivot termination. Is Ed online anyone?

Yamaha harden their capo bars, but hardening the capo bar alone is
not sufficient (especially if the radius is not small enough). The
duplex bars also must be hardened. The Yamaha pianos remains noisy
because the duplex is too soft (I am not sure if they still try to
tune the front duplex to a harmonic of the speaking length, since I
haven't rebuilt any Yamahas later than a 1992).

Very soon some of the first commercial CD recordings featuring our
piano no. 003 will be available. This will include two CDs by leading
Australian jazz pianist (and New Zealand export) Mike Nock (one
features the Mike Nock trio while the other is with saxophonist Dale
Barlow's quartet) and another by Australian pianist Scott Davie (a
former student of Leslie Howard) performing works by Rachmaninov
(including the Variations on a theme of Corelli). I have previewed
the Rachmaninov CD with some satisfaction. For those who are
interested in hearing something to the either confirm or dispel the
myth, I may be able eventually to supply these CDs by mail order.
I'll inform the list if and when this service becomes available.

Ron Overs
--

        OVERS PIANOS
Grand piano manufacturers