What a nice surprise - technically OT

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 19:33:22 -0500

I was standing backstage on Wednsday waiting for the artist to arrive so the
crew could find out where the piano went so the lighting guy could set the
lights and the sound guy.......you get the picture. We were killing time
backstage.

The sound tech asks me if I had heard of the piano player that played with
the symphony this past Friday(John Naca...something or other......I should
know his name 'cause he's a good player)..I said no, but the music director
really like him..the tech asked me if I wanted to hear the performance..I
said sure! I had never heard that S&S recorded, so this was going to be a
treat!

He puts it on, and within 3 seconds I am overcome with euphoria..It's Rach's
3rd!..my favorite!..and I didn't know the symphony was playing it that
night. Had I known, I would have been in attendance.

The tech said he could burn me a copy..I told him I would be forever in his
debt (he'll remember, I'm sure!).

I just got done listing to 'my baby' being played by an accomplished
player..and I must say that I am impressed with that D. Now that I have
heard it recorded, I can 'hear' that the killer octave needs some work, but
I am impressed otherwise. Now I know what you all have been saying for
forever about the killer octave being thin..weak..not as strong..whatever. I
heard it tonight. I have it recorded in real time.

If I didn't know, I would have guessed that one of you would have prepared
that piano for the performance...hearing 'my baby' playing my favorite
classical piece knowing that I prepped it makes me very proud and more than
anything, more humble.

I heard it..I liked it..let's fix the killer octave.

Phil