Schwander linked ;

JWyatt1492@AOL.COM JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:57:35 EST

Hello Stephane;

    I have been fascinated with the " linked "
action principal for years.  The thought that everything
would move at the same time and the same force
seems to me should work. Then why don't  it.
   It seems that Clarence Hickmann was close mainly
because  positive regulation points were in place.
It,s to bad that the recession stopped work on it. I have
been trying to find a Hickmann model to copy and give
to the PTG Foundation.
   The Schwander you speak of in my mind is not a true
linked action.  It is linked to the hammer shank but not
the key.  And this presents a  problem of regulation
and as John Delacour says excessive wear.  The sliding
escapement is not the best method of escapement
either.  The 1860 Steinway double excapement action
had the same type of escapement and I think the same
problems of regulation. As far as regulating this action I
think we would have to use key depth to the best advantage
along with letoff for the best feel and check the hammer
close to the wire.  The are my thoughts only, as I have
never regulated a " linked " Schwander.  Good Lubrication
would be necessary also.

  Regards,
   Jack Wyatt