Moore temperament cents deviation from ET

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 19:52:16 EST

Greetings,
>> From Owen Jorgensen  TUNING  (actually, from the Historical
>>Temperaments list of RCT, since that's
>>closest reference at hand); In this list it's called the Representative
>
>>Victorian Moore, year 1885, comes
>>right below the Tuners Guide#3.

      The Moore looks like a very mild step, (the F#-A# is just 15.7 cents
wide, and the C-E is 9.7) which often is just the right move for the new
temperament customer.  I have been using something a little stronger for
introductions.  That is the Broadwood's Best tuning when I needed to cloak
the change in some sort of historical drapery,(other times, the hi-tech
origin of the Coleman series seems to appeal to the particular customer at
hand).  The Broadwood carries a little more color and contrast than the
Moore, but both of them put a luster in the piano's harmony.  A savvy tech
can  make the distinctions between the two by what sort of repertoire the
customer is doing, but this is really a hair-splitting fine-point
distinction!!
      I believe it was Skip Becker that told me the difference between the
Broadwood's best and the Broadwood's "Usual" tuner was also a very
distinctive step for him, but I couldn't tell them apart just by listening to
music.  The differences were apparent when checking the intervals as a
tuner,though.
     While I agree that somewhere between 17 and 21 cents  a third begins to
attract attention, we should also remember that the tonal product is
dependant on the performer to an extent.  Enid Katahn tells me that one can
play in a highly tempered key expressively or harshly, so the sound is not
strictly a function of interval width.  So,  perhaps one of the most
important points of temperament choice is how ready the pianist is for a
change.  Erring on the side of caution doesn't hurt, even if perchance the
ephiphanies become sparser.
    Long term acceptance is the goal, and in this pursuit, those of us that
are thowing gloves at our customers, (mea culpa, too), might profitably keep
in mind something Aristotle said.  He said, "It is the mark of an educated
mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it".  There is
little more important to making change happen than tolerance.
Regards,
Ed Foote