University Sales - My two cents worth

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:28:35 -0800

After reading on this subject for the last several days I thought I
might have a valid opinion to add.  For those who are not aware I have
the university piano contract for UNLV, (University of Nevada, Las Vegas).

I have dealt with several of these sales in a variety of locations over
the years.  UNLV is neck deep in one.  On the surface it looks like a
great deal.  Limited budgets are stretched by acquiring new loaned
pianos rather than purchasing them.  "Students and teachers get to use
new pianos instead of old ones and everyone is happy". Sounds simple
enough, but does anyone ever think of the piano technician?

We have 19 loaned pianos as follows:
(2) C-1s
(3) C-2s
(2) C-3s
(1) C-6
(1) C-7
(5) P-22s
(5) U-1s

Maintaining these loaned pianos has been nothing short of a living hell,
as they are almost futile to stabilize well enough for use in a
university.  They arrive in late summer, typically no earlier than three
weeks before the fall semester begins.  They are new and unpacked right
out of the box on the premises.  In desperation I intentionally pitch
raise them all 20 cents sharp as quickly as I can, (that's right, 20
cents).  Within two weeks they are all 10 cents flat.  Then I tune them
to A-440. This is acceptable for about 2 weeks at best after which I
must tune them all again.  This lasts about three weeks after which I am
tuning them again.  By the end of the semester I have tuned them all at
least five times not including my initial forced pitch raise.  This
labor of course doesn't include the other fifty university owned pianos
that I maintain.

The spring semester normally isn't so bad because they have somewhat
stabilized enough that I can at least breath a little.  Unfortunately
the dealer has pulled a fast one this year.  In December they decided
that they wanted to swap out half of the pianos that were brought in at
the beginning of the fall semester.  No doubt this was so that they
could sell them under the B.S. "former university piano" marketing
tactic while simultaneously not breaking their loan agreement with the
university. You can guess what my reaction was to this.  Essentially
they are using the university as a warehouse and a means to sell
"university pianos" year round.

We used to have about fifteen university owned pianos in storage.  We
needed to purchase an S&S D for a new recital hall.  The dealer
convinced the university to trade in all the pianos in storage toward
the cost of the new Steinway.  What actually ended up happening is they
gave the university almost nothing for the trade ins, (a couple hundred
dollars for the uprights and about a thousand for the grands).  Now the
university is more dependent than ever on the loan program since we
don't have enough pianos to back out of it and the savings on the new
Steinway was nil at best.

It is terribly unfortunate that universities have become suckered into
these deals.  With the loaned pianos out of tune all the time I see no
advantage.  Truth be known the old pianos would have been more usable.
 Over time they could also have had at least some partial rebuilding
work done to bring them up to par.  We are now in a blackmail situation
and with no end in sight.

I believe that university loan programs COULD work IF strict rules were
made and enforced.  For example, a minimum of two years loaned instead
of one.  To be fair they could stagger the loaners out by swapping out
half of them each year so that in any given time half would be new and
half would be from a previous year.  In my opinion UNLV is grossly being
taken advantage of and the system is being abused.

Recently I had an in depth discussion on the matter with the
administrator who is responsible for the loan program.  We are setting a
new rule for them next year with an ultimatum which may result in
switching to a competing dealer if not followed.  First, they will
deliver and set up the new pianos immediately following their sale
instead of waiting until two weeks before school starts.  Second, they
will no longer be allowed to swap out pianos until the year long term
has ended.  We have a small handful of lesser used pianos that I am
going to swap around this summer that will reduce our loaner dependency
by two units next time but with all of our stored pianos gone we are
pretty much screwed.

My recommendation:  If you are a university tech and NOT currently on a
loan program and a dealer approaches the school to try and start one,
educate the administration on what is at stake and urge them to run away
like the wind.  It's not worth it and the only one who wins is the
dealer who suckers the public into thinking they are getting some kind
of a deal.  Instead I would urge establishing a fund each year toward
purchasing a single new piano and at least partially rebuilding one or
two others.

Rob Goodale, RPT'
Las Vegas, NV