Symphony Piano Sale

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:00:49 -0600

Avery:

In the view of our legal office, Texas state law is pretty specific
on what tax-exempt/non-profit organizations can do.  Conducting a
sale on campus is definitely a for profit event.  In her opinion we
could sell our old pianos so we could buy new, but once they start
bringing in other instruments to sell it is a commercial event that
is outside of the Texas non-profit laws.  The local dealer tried to
push for an on campus sale, but eventually he admitted that he
thought our legal officer was correct.

dave

On 3/5/2002 at 8:06 PM Avery Todd wrote:

>Hi David,
>
>Hmm! I've never thought of this. The ****** dealership is having a
sale
>this weekend at the school. They have 4 of the "automatic" type of
players
>they furnish! Everything else, they bring in!
>
>The other sale we have because of our 9 lease pianos, happens later
in the
>year!
>
>Maybe I should mention this to the Director of our department! But
one
>question. Why exactly would it affect the tax exempt status? I
admit, I
>don't know much about this type of thing.
>
>Avery
>
>At 05:48 PM 03/05/02 -0600, you wrote:
>>Wim:
>>
>>The university sale for SMU is always held at the dealership.  Our
legal
>>department would not let this commercial event take place on campus
for
>>fear of losing our tax-exempt status.  I'm a little surprised that
this
>>hasn't caught some other universities.
>>
>>dave

for the
>>>last 10 years has just informed us he is pulling out at the end of
the
>>>school year. We have 12 pianos in use now. I don't know what we
are
>going
>>>to do to replace those 12, as all of them are in critical
positions. We
>>>do have some options, but it will no doubt cost us some money,
money
>that
>>>should be used in other areas.
>>>
>>> From what I have been told, the university sale last year
resulted in
>>> only 11 pianos being sold. The dealer didn't even have the sale
at the
>>> university. It was held in his store. That kind of sale was also
being