ET...go home

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:50:03 EST

pianolover88@hotmail.com (pianolover 88) writes:

> If "WT" or ANYthing other than ET is so much better, in your opinion, than
> why, I wonder, is ET so universally employed as the "standard?" I'm more
> than open to hearing your thoughts. I only know that our Steinway tech
> tunes
> ONLY ET and his results are glorious! Let's remember that ten tuners can
> tune ET on the SAME piano, and each may sound different, depending on the
> accuracy, stability, and the amount of stretch of each tuning.

Ahemmm!  Terry, do you recall when I met you at that Steinway dealership and
you asked my opinion on whether a particular Steinway was in good enough tune
to go out?  I said "yes" and I also remarked that it was not in ET but a mild
form of a WT, even if it was not done that way on purpose.

The more claims there are of ET only, it seems the more that I can prove my
point that it just isn't so.  That Steinway tuner may *believe* that he is
tuning ET but if his results are consistently the way I heard that day, I'd
say the reason his tunings sound so good is that they are *not* in fact, ET.
I wouldn't, however try to bring this up with him because he might get very
defensive about it.  Believe me, I know this from experience.

No one is ever likely to ask you for any of the tunings you have stored in
your SAT because no one you're ever likely to tune for has ever heard of
them.  That is why ET is considered "standard" because for a hundred years,
the knowledge of any other choice has been suppressed and denied to the
public.  Yet, people sometimes find a way to something better by trial and
error while still holding contradictory beliefs.

If you want to step into the HT territory, it is a bold move.  You really
need to know what you're doing and how to make the proper choices.  If you go
around talking too much about it, you'll get into the same kind of trouble I
have.  It's a serious step to take, not something to do on a lark.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin