Front Duplex

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 01:02:45 EST

Hi, Kevin:

How old is this piano?  Does it get some hard playing?   I think that
work-hardening of the string at the "V" bar is responsible for most zinging
(agraffe zinging may be different, like on the "L" I had today).  Killer
octave V bar zinging is best fixed either by replacing strings or by
re-positioning the string on the V bar - not sideways, but fore and aft by
turning the tuning pins, as in Susan Kline's excellent Journal article a
couple of years ago.  I discovered this many years ago when I did this on a
"C" and the zings went away and the tone bloomed.

I don't like messing with the V bar.  It has surface hardening, which
reshaping may cut through;  any good derived is short-lived.  The problem is
the string, which has gotten too hard at the V bar.

Bill Shull, RPT