[wrong word] and multi-piece rims

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:30:01 +0000

At 10:09 AM -0800 4/3/02, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> [...]

I've been messing with two very different 6' grand in the past three
days: the Kirkman that came in today and that I've mentioned in
another thread, and the Ibach which is being prepared for the
experimental soundboard.  Now Ibach is quite well thought of, and at
the time this one was built they had the Royal Appointment to the
Emperor Franz Joseph.  The framing is a fairly massive made up affair
of knotty pine and the outer rim is partly pine and partly one of
those woods they knew "nobody would ever see" -- probably birch or
even willow!  The whole thing is tastefully dressed up in rosewood,
of course.

Now the soundboard seating for this piano is 35 mm wide all round and
is mainly of pine with no care at all for grain direction or timber
quality.  However at the treble hollow this changes to good quality
maple.  What this suggests to me is that Ibach could see the need to
use maple on the high treble but saw no point in wasting good wood
round the remaining perimeter.  Whether he was right I'll never know
because I'm replacing the pine with poplar and the soundboard will be
nothing like his anyway.

The Kirkman is a completely different machine built almost entirely
of oak including the bits nobody's going to see and generally far
more massive, with a 32mm outer rim and a very solid belly rail
arrangement in contrast to Ibach's pine and beech cantilever.  The
soundboard is also 9-10 mm as opposed to Ibach's 6-7 mm.

Both have 3-4 part outer rims with rounded corners.  Neither have
transoms, chines or masts or any other boaty bits and pieces!

It's interesting to be working at the same moment on two pianos that
are so different and at the same time to have two Steinway model Os
in rebuilding, which are very different again.  There is no doubt in
my mind that the Kirkman will be the best of the lot not only for
build quality and scaling but also for tone.

JD