Shop is a commin'

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 09:15:34 -0800

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

>Rob,
>
>Congratulations!
>
>The only thing I thought you may want to consider, in addition to the advice
>others already gave you....
>
>Will the shop be built on fill?  Many years ago I lived in a house in
>Florida that measured maybe 28 X 45 feet.  The foundation slab for the
>entire structure sank in the back, so that within those 28' the back was 6"
>lower than the front.  You certainly don't want that to happen to you.  Be
>sure you have a solid foundation.

In accordance with local code we are required to have a pad built by a
certified dirt moving contractor.  This involves the removal of a
substantial amount of the dirt followed by putting it back again using
heavy compacting equipment, a water truck, and a top layer of Type II
for the slab.  When completed it should be level, well compacted, and
ready for trenching and concrete forms.  this is followed by steel rebar
and then a final inspection prior to pouring.  Building the pad along
with the concrete are the two most expensive parts of the project
amounting to half the cost.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV