Shop is a commin'

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 22:17:32 EST

In a message dated 3/3/2002 4:00:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, rrg@unlv.edu
writes:

>   Hi Robert

     Building your dreams are always the most exciting and stimulating times
of life. And I celebrate with you on your latest expansion. I know Las Vegas
is booming, as my friend Dave Chadwick R.P.T. has said, and this should be a
great business move for your family.
     For the past six years My wife Trix and I have been expanding our shop
in stages. In 1996 we moved to 1.66 acres outside Modesto Ca. so that we
could expand and not bother our formerly residential neighbors. We are now in
the county.
    Our property came with a 2200 square ft. Home (1960s style Oh boy) and a
900 square ft. shop that was our everything rooms. It was divided in two
pieces. About 150 square feet was a separate room that we used as a spray
booth and a room for the stringer to pound away in without driving the others
insane with pounding. After about a year of solid rebuilding growth and very
hard work we were so jammed that we had to add a 1200 square ft. addition
which we added onto the back of the existing shop. This is now primarily the
woodworking room. Belly work, etc., and our dirty room. Meaning we try to
keep it relatively clean but sawdust is a problem. Hey dust in general is
always a problem.
    We found that steel buildings are way more economical than traditional
wooden construction.  Our building has 4 skylights, and six windows what a
great decision that was, and high output fluorescent lights which are soo
much brighter than the garden variety. There is no substitute for natural
light especially as our eyes start requiring more as we age. Our building is
insulated R-30 in the ceiling and R-11 in the walls. It was professionally
wired. It has central air and heat which is comfortable even with 14 ft.
ceilings. I highly recommend at least a 12 ft. ceiling to mitigate the klunk
factor. I think you can figure that out.  Roll up insulated doors. This part
of the addition cost approx. 22 K. the other plus is this is very quick
construction. You can have your shop built, wired plumed and whatevered in 30
days or so depending on the speed of your contractors. I did none of the
physical work myself.but did all the subcontracting.
    Our zoning is called Agriculture 1 or Ag 1 zoning and because of that
handy little blessing we were not required to get a permit providing that the
new building was an addition to the existing one. NOOO problem. A year after
that I added another 900 square feet to house the finish room. which I built
the same way as the first. With explosion proof fixtures to satisfy osha
(there never satisfied)  and huge fan sparkless exhaust fan ,additional
heat/air ducting it's quite nice. The whole shop is now about 3000ft. and
frankly I wish it was 5 thou. as every piece of it is working space with
little room for parts storage.
  By the way there is no perfect shop system and you'll find yourself
refining it as you go along but for now for us this is  finally a fairly
refined and workable system that allows for efficient divisions of labor,
reasonable dust control, excellent lighting and environmental comfort for
us/pianos and about 10 projects in process at a time in various stages of
repair.  Yes, it's still a little tight but I'm not complaining at ALL. And
I'm not adding on again.
   I lied I forgot we just bought a pre-fabbed little office 10 by 16 ft. to
remove the office from a remote location ..... the house,, to just in front
of the clean/ action reassembly room of the shop.
  There are three of us that work in shop full time. Roy the finisher/friend,
wife also still best friend and me. One last thing when no ones in the shop
the shops not making money. I've had to delegate tunings to friends and
family which is by design as I'm most at home as a shop mole.
    Ask any questions you wish and glad to help. Happy building!!