Shop is a commin'

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 15:34:26 -0800

Hello folks,

I've been intentionally delaying any announcement for quite some because
there have been so many details and questionable resources, but I
believe that this might be the appropriate time.  I am now well underway
at building a full scale rebuilding shop.

A couple of years ago my wife and I began searching for a property.
 After six months of realtors and driving all over Las Vegas we finally
found an absolutely perfect location on 3/4 acre.  The house was only
built in 1998, although it has needed numerous improvements thanks to an
independent home contractor who apparently has a reputation for building
nice houses with cheap features, (such as poor plumbing requiring me to
re-plumb the entire place last summer).  Now that this and a variety of
other nonsensical details have been addressed, we can turn our attention
to our original objective.

We are building this facility from the ground up to our custom
specifications.  This first step was to bring in exactly 100 18 wheel
truck loads of dirt to level the property.  I got it super cheap,
($20.00 a truck), after hooking up with a dirt contractor who had over
300 truck loads to haul away.  Having leveled that out, we are ready to
begin.  I am rapidly learning how expensive this will be, although I had
a pretty good idea already.  We are required by the county to have a
grading/plot plan. Last week we forked over $1,800.00 for that.
 Yesterday our architect was here to get property information and go
over our specifications. Fortunately we are saving major money on that
because we are using an architecture student from the university  He is
serving an internship for a firm and should be able to get the required
signatures and stamps.  Normally this starts at about $3.00 per square
foot and up, so we are really lucky to have him.  He also has to get a
structural engineer to design the pad/slab and roof requirements, and we
need an electrical engineering plan as well.  Then we need two
independent soil tests to prove that the ground is stable, (stupid).

The facility will measure 2,000 Sq. Ft when completed, actually larger
than our house!    It will include an office, a separate dust free room
for rebuilding actions, and a rest room.  The remaining space will be
open shop area.  There will be multiple windows and skylights for
natural light.  The interior will be fully insulated with textured and
finished walls.  We will have both 110 and 220 volt power via multiple
outlets.  There will be a large compressor and vacuum system  located
outside the building for noise reduction.  These will be plumbed
throughout the shop for easy access. There will be a 10 ft. roll-up door
on one end, a side entrance, and an outside entrance directly into the
office. There will also be a utility sink.  Machinery planned includes:
a large table saw, a full size drill press, a jointer,a  large band saw,
a large buffer, and a combination vertical/disk sander.  We will also
have the only soundboard press in Nevada.  Along with that goes the hot
box and, eventually we hope to have a small spray booth.  Of course
there will be LOTS of bench space and work tables.

We will be building the entire structure ourselves with the exception of
the slab, (too big a job), and exterior stucco, (too big a mess).  My
brother in law is a licensed contractor in California and has agreed to
help us frame it.  We are using a truss design so the roof should be
easy.  Eventually I hope to build a patio outside for additional work
space for when the weather is nice, and we will have a concrete driveway
that goes around the house to the roll up door.

When completed I believe that we should have a heck of a facility.  Alan
Meyer and I will be running it as business partners under the name
"Southwest Piano Technologies", (we already have embroidered shirts with
a cool logo).  My wife will be our esteemed action rebuilder and
official secretary.  Then of course to round it off is our black lab
Joplin who will be the official "shop dog", (no piano shop should be
without one).

So that's the official announcement.  We have a very long way to go, and
by building it ourselves, the process will take quite some time.  Having
said all of that, I would now like to open the floor for discussion.  If
anyone has any suggestions or ideas before we finalize the blueprints, I
would appreciate hearing about them.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV