My First House! (OT)

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 17:18:33 -0500

Terry,

Last year my son, who is 27, and I considered the buy versus rent question.
While I have seen some pretty impressive number crunching that shows how some
people can come out ahead renting, it appeared to us that the benefits of owning
a house outweigh the liabilities.  You reached the same conclusion.
Congratulations on buying your first house!

On a slightly different subject, I support paying a house off just as fast as
one's financial situation permits.  While it is true that mortgage interest
provides a nice deduction come tax time, let's never forget that the tax
reduction never comes close to reimbursing the cost of interest in the first
place.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger